Thursday, February 16, 2017

Patient Interview #2 with "C"

Community Acupuncture is about getting as much acupuncture as you want and need to keep yourself healthy. But how does a person know how much that is? This is the second installment of my interview series showing how different patients of U-District Community Acupuncture use the clinic to do just that. This interview is with "C".

Me: How did you first discover acupuncture?

C: Through Lori King years ago. Lori and I were friends and she opened an acupuncture clinic on Capitol Hill for a few years until she moved out of Seattle.
I discovered UCA through my Doctor Richard Kovar and his Nurse assistant over at Country DR clinic.  

ME: How long have you been getting acupuncture?

C: I have been doing acupuncture off and on for over 10 years.
I have now been going to UCA for over 4 months

Me: How often do you get acupuncture?

C: Around 3 to 4 times a week, depending on my needs.

Me: Have you noticed any impact on your life? Can you describe this a bit?

C: When I first came in I was having intense shoulder pain. My neck was super tight and I right hip was acting up with sciatica pain from an old injury. I had fallen off an 8 foot ladder and hit my right arm on the recycle bin on my way down to the ground.
My medical doctor was concerned that I might get a frozen shoulder if I did not really work with it. So he and his nurse helper suggested I go to the UCA for acupuncture. My shoulders have certainly loosened up and I am pain free.   I am no longer having sciatica pain and I am sleeping at night again!
While I was going to UCA I also went threw some personal challenging emotional times over the holidays with my family of origin and then the loss of a parent.
The treatment I received for that helped me immensely. It put me in such a relaxed state that very much felt like a deep healing mediation.
I truly felt it helped to balance me out and keep me focused on the daily things of life.  It allowed me to de-stress and re-energize myself. It helped me to be fully present with my parent who suffered extreme dementia and after his passing to gently move through my grief.

Me: What do you like about the U-District Community Acupuncture Clinic?

C: I tend to be sensitive to spaces and the energy of a space.
I was super happy to discover UCA has a very tranquil and healing energy. That goes beyond the Zen visuals and sounds.  The space is warm, inviting and open. It has the options for one to be reclined in a very comfy recliner or when you need it to lay completely flat on a massage table.  The space invites you to easily drift in to a deep state of relaxation to let the needles do their work. I often forget it is a community space and feel like I am the only one in the room. That was pleasantly surprising!

I love that it so affordable and that allows me to do great self-care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment